Thursday 14 March 2013

New Books

I am excited because I have just ordered some new mystery books from my wish list. I am looking forward to their arrival.

I am interested in reading more of the early detective fiction so I have been trying to find recommendations for books to read. These are but a few from that list.

I wanted to read The Rector of Veilbye (first published 1829) by Steen Steensen Blicher but I could not find it easily available in an English translation. Instead I have got:
  • The Diary of a Parish Clerk and other short stories, (DPC first published 1824), S Steensen Blicher
- One of  the short stories included is the Rector of Veilbye, and I will get to sample some of the author's other works too.

I have also acquired:
  • L'Affaire Lerouge (first published 1866),  Émile Gaboriau (published in English as The Widow Lerouge)
-  I noticed the author mentioned in Dickson Carr's 'The Locked-Room Lecture' in The Hollow Man. He referenced Initials Only but I decided to get The Leavenworth Case as this is an earlier work of Green.

Finally, I got:
- It is taking me so long to read The Woman in White, that I think it will be a little while before I get around to reading this.

1 comment:

  1. I love good mysteries like Agatha Christie and all the Sherlock stories. I guess because I grew up on Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys and, yes, even Scooby Doo! :D

    ReplyDelete